Hoopers is a fun dog sport that’s ideal for dogs and owners of all ages and fitness levels both very young and very old dogs can participate.
Dogs navigate a course of hoops, barrels and tunnels with the same pace and excitement as agility.
There are no jumps so it's easy on the joints of older, giant, and young dogs who haven't finished growing.
The courses are flowing and don’t involve tight turns – making it accessible for everyone! Distance handling is prioritised in Hoopers, so handler movement is reduced making it ideal for those with physical limitations.
Hoopers is focused on the ability of dog and owner to work together as a smooth-flowing team so it’s a great bonding activity too.
- 8 classes (Start dates aligned with Primary School terms)
- Pre-requisit is Practical Canines
- Dog must be registered, fully vaccinated and not in season
- 1 hr class with 15 mins before and after (Total time 1.5hrs)
- You are expected to help put up and take down the equipment if you are able
- Group class at Club Grounds, Ian Galloway Park, Wilton (Map)
- Cost $140
Schedule for 2023
Our class terms are aligned with New Zealand Primarly School terms, and we do not usually run classes on holiday weekends. We start class the week that terms starts.
You can see all the classes we have scheduled so far on our Events Calendar
|Day||Time||First Class||Last Class|
|Sunday||2.30pm||15 Octobery||10 December*|
*There will not be a class at Labour Weekend
How to Book
All our bookings are made and paid for here on our website. All available classes are listed on our website. If a class is full you are able to go on the waitlist for that class. If a position becomes available we will email the people on the waiting list and the first person to go in and book will get the spot.
What to Bring
- Lots of your best treats - way more than you think you'll need
- A rope or tug toy if your dog is into them
- A flat collar and harness or halti if you have one
- A non-retractable lead (you can bring a retractable or long line as well)
- Waterproof, non slip shoes - we are on grass
- Appropriate clothing for working outside in all weather
- Clicker if you use one
- Muzzle or similar if you use one or are required to have one
- A lead and harness or flat collar. No choke chains or slip leads please. Well fitting, free movement harnesses may be used for training but will eventually need to be replaced with a tag-less collar only (as is standard in competition)
Please bring a LOT of very small treats for your dog. Good options are Possyum cut up small, cheese, cat biscuits etc.