Our beginner class for domestic dogs at our Club Grounds in Ian Galloway Park.
We're here to help you form the habit of training your dog. We start with the basics; Sit, down, stay, heel, come, meeting people and dogs politely. After 4 weeks we take the class "off site" and generalize those skills in new environments.
- 8 classes (Start dates aligned with Primary School terms)
- Each class is 45 minutes
- Minimum age is 14 weeks and fully vacinated
- No maximum age
- Must not be in season
- Follows on from Puppy Primer
- And for dogs who haven't been to classes before, or need a refresher
- A pre-requisite for our other classes and squads
- Certificate counts towards your Wellington City Council Responsible Dog Owner status
- Cost $140
Schedule for 2023
Our class terms for Practical Canines are aligned with New Zealand Primarly School terms, and we do not usually run classes on holiday weekends. We start class the week that terms starts.
You can see all the classes we have scheduled so far on our Events Calendar
Term 4 - Bookings are open for people on the Notification List, general bookings open on Tuesday 19th October
|Day||TIme||First Class||Last Class|
|Sunday||9am||8 October||3 December *|
|Sunday||10am||8 October||3 December *|
|Friday||4.15pm||13 October||1 December|
|Friday||5.30pm||13 13 October||1 December|
* There is no class scheduled for Labout weekend (23rd Oct)
How to Book
All our bookings are made and paid for here on our website. All available classes are listed on our website. If a class is full you are able to go on the waitlist for that class. If a position becomes available we will email the people on the waiting list and the first person to go in and book will get the spot.
What to Bring
- dog's vaccination record
- lots of your best treats - way more than you think you'll need
- a flat collar and harness or halti if you have one, no slip leads or choke chains please
- a non retractable lead (you can bring a retractable or long line as well)
- good waterproof shoes - we are on grass
- appropriate clothing for working outside in all weather
- clicker if you use one
- muzzle or similar if you use one or are required to have one
Please bring a LOT of very small treats for your dog. Good options are Possyum cut up small, cheese, cat biscuits etc.